A collaboration between Elysian Brewing Company, USA & Newlands Spring Brewing Company, South Africa.
10,000 MILES FRESH HOP PALE ALE
WHY WE CREATED A SPECIAL BREW
- Seasonal brews create interest and intrigue in the craft beer category
- A seasonal brew compliments our local craft beer Newlands Spring
- For two ABI owned craft beer companies Elysian and Newlands Spring Brewing Company and SA Hop Farms to produce a new and trending style of beer which is very popular in the USA
- Form a working cooperative between two great hop breeding partners and to celebrate South African Hops
- Further brewing innovation
- Educate beer drinkers about hops and new beer styles
- Potential for future annual harvest beer collaborations
WHAT’S IN A NAME?
- This represents the distance from Elysian Brewing Company to Newlands Spring Brewing Company, while emphasising provenance which every craft brand needs.
- The design of the label incorporates the our local Newlands Spring Mariendal Brewery, the first brewery in South Africa and the green darner dragonfly, a symbol of Washington and their official state insect.
- The black background stands out from our other variants as a special brew.
- The green is the same green as Jacobs Pale Ale, alluding to our special brew being a ale and made from fresh hops.
- The “grungy” style lock up that hold the name shows craftiness and separates from our other 4 variants.
ABOUT THE BEER
The beer is somewhat different. This is a big, juicy, fruity IPA style fresh hop beer.
THE BEER IS ALL ABOUT THE HOPS
ZA Southern Passion are the featured fresh hop and also used in the brewhouse are the ZA African Queen whole hops. The dry hop additions include ZA Southern Passion, African Queen and the ZA experiential U/108 (yet to be named). USA varieties are Mosaic, Simcoe, Ekuanot, Cashmere, Glacier, Centennial, Loral, Sabro, Amarillo, and Eureka!.
Medium to medium low sweetness, balanced with a firm bitterness, light honey malt character which very pleasant and some light alcohol warmth but not hot.
A very intriguing aroma of ripe mango, passionfruit (dominant), some grassy notes, a little guava, some light lemon hints and red berries.
The body is quite smooth and medium rounded.
Starting Gravity: 15.5P
Finishing Gravity: 3.4
ABOUT THE BREWERS
Markus is an original hire at Elysian Brewing in Spring 1996.
Has held many positions (often simultaneously) including lead brewer, production manager, audio engineer, and boiler fireman.
Designed and brewed many of Elysian’s award winning beers, seasonals, and staple brands.
Currently Elysian’s brewing ingredient specialist and cool ideas guy.
HOW WE DID IT
- The idea was conceived on a Brewing Whatsapp group
- Mark Stinson (Elysian's Brewing Ingredients Specialist) joined Warren Wiese (NSBCo. Production Brewer) and JP Britz (NSBCo. Trade beer Specialist) as well as the Newlands Spring team in South Africa for a one day marathon of hop picking and brewing
- Since budget was limited, the team was also tasked to take their own footage
- Bespoke packaging was designed by Elysian Brewing Company and was taken to final art by Berge Farrell
- Packaging production was done in limited amount by CPT and Mpack
- Marketing Plans were put in place: digital content plan with Drafline, paid media with Viseum and PR with Corporate Image